The Troy Public Library is looking for candidates for its Board of Trustees to fill three open positions. Registered voters who are residents of the City of Troy who wish to be considered as candidates for election to the Board of Trustees may contact Paul Hicok, Director, for further information.
Trustees are elected to serve for a three year term. Election of Trustees will take place on Tuesday, September 29th. Candidates must have lived within the boundaries of the City of Troy for one year prior to the election and will need 25 signatures from residents in the City of Troy before their names can be placed on the ballot. The deadline for returning petitions to the library is August 28th at 5:00 pm.
Paul Hicok, Director
100 second Street
Troy, New York 12180
Summer Reading Club 2015
June 28th – August 25th
Be a Hero this summer!
Sign up in person or register online:
Read, record what you’ve read, and bring it back to the library for a chance to win prizes! It’s THAT easy! Also check out our awesome Summer Programs: (All programs are free. To register please call the Main Library at (518) 274-7071 or the Lansingburgh branch at (518) 235-5310)
- Superhero Keychains – We will make super hero themed keychains by melting Perler Beads. Ages 6-12. Tuesday, August 4 at 1:30 pm, Lansingburgh Branch. Register online.
- Create Your Own Graphic Novel – Tweens and teens will create their own comics in this 90 minute workshop with Barbara Slate. Ages 9-18. Wednesday, August 5 at 11:00 am, Main Library. Register online.
- Superhero Storytime – Join us for a super hero story time where we will read super hero stories and create a super hero craft. For children up to the age of 5 with a caregiver. Wednesday, August 12 at 10:30 am, Main Library.
- Veggie Sculptures Honest Weight Co-op – Create Fruit and Vegetable Sculptures, make beautiful and nutritional art with our friends from the Honest Weight Food Co-op. For children ages 3-6. Thursday, August 13 at 10:00 am, Main Library. Register online.
- All About Fish – Learn fish safety and make fish art! For ages 6 and up. Tuesday, August 18 2:00 pm, Lansingburgh Branch. Wednesday, August 19 at 2:00 pm, Main Library.
- Summer Reading Club Party – You finished! Now it’s time to celebrate your accomplishment! Come join us for a PARTY! For Summer Reading Club participants! Tuesday, August 25 at 6:00 pm, Main Library. Register online.
We are grateful to the Friends of the Troy Public Library for helping to support our programs.
Thursdays, July 9th to August 20th at 6:30 pm
“Shorts Out Loud!” consists of fifteen minutes of LIVE acoustic music followed by a short story read out loud, refreshments and discussion.
- August 6th – Reader: Barbara Stubblebine, Musician: Anne Marie Haber &
Jora Cohen, Violin & Accordion
- August 13th – Reader: Marggie Skinner, Musician: Elizabeth Woodbury Kasius & Bobby Kendall (New World Jazz)
- August 20th – Reader: Barbara Wood, Musician: Bobby Kendall, Guitar
This program is free and open to adults age 16 and over. Preregistration is not required.
Looking for a great summer read?
The library has free copies of Jeff Strand’s I Have A Bad Feeling About This. After June 21st, pick one up in the Young People’s Department at Main or at Teen Gaming at the Lansingburgh Branch.
- The Deal:
Read it. Tell us what you think, and pass it on to another teen. Details are inside the books. In the spirit of sharing, there are no due dates, no late fees, no lost-book charges – only the pleasure of reading a good book and passing it on.
- The Book:
Henry Lambert would rather play video games than spend time in the great outdoors – but that doesn’t make him a wuss. Skinny nerd? Fine. But wuss is a little harsh. Sadly, his dad doesn’t agree. Which is why Henry is being shipped off to Strongwoods Survival Camp. Strongwoods isn’t exactly as advertised. It looks like the victim of a zombie apocalypse, the “camp director” is a psycho drill sergeant, and Henry’s sure he saw a sign written in blood….
For grades 7 and up. You can also borrow a copy from the library or from overdrive.
June 29th to August 21st, 2015
All Library Locations
By reading books this summer, you could explore new worlds, meet new people, have fun, learn something new and maybe win a prize! For every four books you check out and read this summer, you can enter your name into a prize drawing.
Drawings will be held on Friday mornings from June 29th through August 21st. Participants must be at least 16 years old and hold a valid library card from the Upper Hudson Library system. Books, ebooks and audio books available through the library count towards your goal.
Continue Reading »