Summer Reading Club begins June 24th for young people age 3 through young adult. Stop by either branch of the Troy Public Library on or after this date to pick up a reading record or sign up online. Jot down what you read or how long you read. Bring it to the library each week for a chance at bigger prizes. At the end of the summer you can choose a book to keep!
Upcoming Summer Programs for kids: (All programs are free. Please make sure to register.)
- June 20th: Comedian/Mime Jodi Scalise at 6:30 pm, Main Library, for all ages.
- June 28th: Music Together: an early childhood music and movement program at 10:30 am, Lansingburgh Branch, for children up to age 5
- June 29th: Comic Jam workshop with cartoonist Ira Marcks at 10:30 am – 12:30 pm, Main Library for ages 8-12
- July 1st: All about the Fishes! Learn fish safety and make fish art at 2:00 pm, Lansingburgh Branch, ages 6 plus
- July 6th: Video Game Design, Part 1 (first of 3 part series, continues 7/13 and 7/27) at 10:30 am to 12:30 pm, Main Library for ages 10 and up
- July 9th: Magician Jim Snack at 6:30 pm, Main Library, for all ages.
- July 9th: Image Transfer Class* at 6:00 pm, Lansingburgh Branch, ages 8 and up. Bring in some of your own materials (photos, and magazine pictures) and learn how to transfer them onto other mediums to incorporate into an art piece. Sarah from Art by Sarah Jane will present this workshop. Register Online
- July 10th: Card Making Workshop* at 6:00 pm, Lansingburgh Branch, ages 8 and up. What better way to start the summer than with a wealth of new ideas to add to your card making arsenal and simplify your creations! Register Online
Continue Reading »
Video Game Creation
June 24th – 28th at 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Make your own video games. Working with MIT developed software called SCRATCH, the students will learn the basics of game mechanics and how to create some classic video games in the style of Pac Man, Mario Bros and Space Invaders. Register online.
Animated GIFs Workshop
June 24th – 28th at 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
In this class students will be introduced to a variety of animation techniques using art materials and software. We will be doing projects using stop motion, to create short movies and animated GIFs. This course is very hands on and artistic, students must have an interest in drawing, being creative and using craft-based art materials. Register online.
Register for the morning class, the afternoon class or the whole day. Program is free and open to the public. You can also register by stopping at the desk or calling 235.5310.
This workshop is supported in part by Federal Library Services and Technology Act funds, awarded to the New York State Library by the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Preschool Family Storytime will be offered for children up to the age of 5 accompanied by parents and caregivers.
- July 10th – Musical Storytime with Lisa Russo
- August 7th – Musical guest Dawn Collins
Lansingburgh Branch: Fridays at 10:30 am Please call 235-5310 to sign up.
We will share stories, rhymes, songs, and simple crafts.
Wednesdays, April 17 to June 12 at 6:00 pm
Join us for this nine week program that will culminate in a completed comic book by the group and a release party. You need not attend all nine classes, but we ask you to attend at least five.
- June 5th – Publishing a Comic: Learn about layout, binding and what it takes to complete a project. Register online.
- June 12th - Release Party! Register online.
Please plan on attending at least 5 of the nine sessions. Register for sessions individually.
For children in grades 5 and up! This program is free and open to the public. To register call 235-5310.
This project is made possible through COMMUNITYART$GRANTS, a program funded through the State and Local Partnership Program of the NYS Council on the Arts and the Arts Center of the Capital Region.
Monthly on Wednesdays at 6:15 pm
June 19th – The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
July 10th – 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
August 7th – Stoneheart by Charlie Fletcher
September 11th – Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead
To find out more and register to participate, call 235-5310.