Who we are:
Friends of the Troy Public Library is a member supported, non-profit organization that advocates, raises funds and provides critical support to the library. It reaches out to the community to create greater awareness of Library services and programs and gives the people of Troy the opportunity to invest in the success of the library by donating funds and by donating time through volunteering. Since 1972 the Friends have been making a difference. Come join us.
What we do:
- Operate The Bookseller, the used book store at the Lansingburgh Branch which helps raise funds for the library and distributes unsold books to community organizations
- Underwrite the Summer Reading Program for children and teens and provide support for many on-going children’s events throughout the year,
- Provide support for many of the library’s adult program including Shorts-Out-Loud
- Purchase books and materials for the library
- Underwrite the Museum Pass program providing free admission to area museums
- Conduct public tours of the Main branch, highlighting its architectural history
- Provide support for maintaining the appearance and upkeep of the buildings.
- In addition, the Friends have purchased equipment such as the book drops and bicycle racks.
Be a Friend!
From the Newsletter to the BookSeller, the Friends contribute in many ways to the library. We invite you to join the Friends by printing-out and completing the Friends of TPL application form.
Questions? Email the Friends of TPL: email@example.com
The Book Seller Hours:
- Wednesdays at 2:00 – 6:00 pm
- Saturday at 10:00 – 2:00 pm (10:00 to 1:00 pm during the summer)
The Book Seller, sponsored by the Friends of Troy Public Library, is a place to buy gently used books at bargain prices. Along with books, the Book Seller has a selection of videos, audio cassettes, and records as well as Friends’ merchandise items such as tote bags, T-shirts, mugs, and note cards.
Contact us if you would like to volunteer to help staff the Book Seller. Volunteers work a minimum of one, three hour shift per month, either on Wednesday or Saturday.
If you have questions or to volunteer E-mail the Friends: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are happy to accept donations of books or other materials that are in good condition. If we do not add the items to our collection, they will be given to our book sale, held weekly at the Lansingburgh Branch. Although we can sometimes use older books, in most cases books printed more than ten years ago will not be added to our collection and are unlikely to find a buyer at our book sale. Please keep in mind that the library must pay to dispose of book donations that are not usable to us.
- DVDs and CDs must be original copies in playable condition.
- Books printed within the last ten years are preferred..
- No magazines, encyclopedias, or Reader’s Digest Condensed Books.
- Books must not be musty or damaged in any way.
Please place all donations in sturdy boxes or bags, and schedule large donations in advance. If you would like a receipt for tax purposes, we can provide a dated acknowledgment of the donation, but cannot place monetary value on donated items.