Librarian I (Youth Services)
The Troy Public Library currently has an opening in the Young People’s Services Department for a Librarian I (Youth services).
This is a full time (35 Hr/wk) entry level professional position which will involve some evenings and weekends. This is a provisional appointment. The successful candidate will need to complete a civil service exam when offered.
Typical Work Activities:
- Provides reference and readers’ advisory services to children and young adults, including online database searches;
- Performs collection development by recommending titles for purchase or deletion;
- Compiles bibliographies
- Develops and implements library programs for children and young adults;
- Assists and advises children and their caregivers in their use and evaluation of library materials and information sources;
- Plans and implements outreach activities for children and their caregivers.
Knowledge and skills required:
The person in this position will need a good knowledge of modern principles and practices of public library service; good knowledge of basic library reference tools and services; good knowledge of child development; good knowledge of literature for children and a working knowledge of commonly used computer software, hand held devices and electronic resources as found in libraries.
Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) from a school accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the NYS Education Department.
The annual salary range for this position is $32,845 – $42,644.
Troy Public Library
100 Second Street
Troy, NY 12180